See ya later, running funk.

11 Feb

Hey there!

Want to hear a secret?

I haven’t liked running the past few days.

Like really. I haven’t.

It’s strange because the past few weeks I was on a constant runner’s high! I felt amazing, was running quicker than normal and felt like I could do a long run everyday of the week (don’t worry, I didn’t. I’m trying to be smart and not get injured blah blah blah.)

But that doesn’t always last…

My recent disdain for running began this Saturday during my 10 mile run. It was beautiful. BEAUTIFUL.

IMG_4147 IMG_4148 IMG_4144

But my head wasn’t in it and neither were my legs.

I was ready for it to be over by mile 1, ready to ditch my water bottle by mile 4 because those 2 lbs were just wayyyy to heavy to carry and by mile 7 I probably could have crawled just as fast as I was running.

Unfortunately, dwelling on how this run (plus my past two) sucked isn’t going to help, so it’s time to come up with ways to get over this little hiccup……

1. Start fresh – forget about your bad runs and look forward. Don’t over analyze, don’t compare, just move forward (coming from the girl who’s writing a whole post on her craptastic runs haaaaaaa angel face emoji)

2. Spice things up – make a new playlist, map out an exciting new running route, find a friend to run with, make up a new game to keep your mind occupied (I like to keep track of how many runners smile back at me), do intervals….whatever it is, just find something that will make you excited to run again!

3. Rest – maybe your body is telling you something? Take that extra rest day and do something fun in place of the run….like sit on the couch and watch Bravo.

4. When in doubt, bitch it out – complain, bitch, moan, groan….just let it all out. Acceptance is the first step to recovery, right? (tip: complain to another runner who will actually sympathize with you and not want to smack you)

5. Make yourself accountable – whether you say a goal out loud to a friend or you post it somewhere on social media, there’s a good chance you will actually stick to it. Example: Facebook status: OMG TOTES RUNNING 3 MILES IN THE MORNING! Facebook comments: “something motivational” “something about you being crazy” “someone asking you how it went” …..the LAST thing you want is to comment back and say “nope sorry, Millionaire Matchmaker came on, decided to bail on the run! Patty is soooooo wise!”

6. Sign up for a race – if you’re experiencing a longterm running rut and can’t seem to find any motivation, sign up for a race! Starting a training plan is a great way to kickstart your return to running. If races aren’t in your budget, come up with your own! Decide on a date, create a route, invite some friends and start the training!

MjAxNC0zMWZiZTQ4ZTlkOWUzZDRm_52d41a9d3b5c0

How do you pull yourself out of a running funk?

10 Responses to “See ya later, running funk.”

1. kayleigh February 11, 2014 at 5:43 pm #

What color was the water battle you wanted to ditch?

2. everythingswaiting February 11, 2014 at 5:57 pm #

When I get in the funk I usually give myself an extra day or two off so I’m forced to miss running. If I’m training then I usually try to adjust my schedule for the week to give myself some extra time off without getting off track. When running feels like a task on my to-do list rather than something enjoyable that I’m doing for myself I always know it’s time to take a super short break!

• irunfordonuts February 14, 2014 at 3:48 pm #

That’s such a good way to look at it! I love that last sentence!!!!

3. Alli February 11, 2014 at 6:32 pm #

But Patty is soooo wise! I’m in a rut. Maybe I need a race!?

4. runningtoherdreams February 12, 2014 at 2:42 am #

I can’t totally relate to this! Usually I get out of a funk by just getting out there and most of the time there is a lot of complaining! But the bad ones and coming back from a funk make the good ones even better! :-)

• irunfordonuts February 14, 2014 at 3:49 pm #

Haha I’m glad I’m not the only complainer!!

5. Britta February 12, 2014 at 8:59 am #

I completely agreeeee! Except my running funk has lasted about a month and not just a few days.. uh oh. Not to mention that I am training for a marathon.. double uh oh. I definitely have been bitching it out lately… gah, I feel like such a complainer but nothing is shaking the running funk! I think I just need to get out for my planned runs and stay committed to them. Love the eCard – hahahaha so funny and exactly the rationale I have been using lately! You’re 10 miler route looks absolutely stunning!!

• irunfordonuts February 14, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

Oh no! I hope you can get out of it soon! It’s so frustrating when it lasts that long. When is your marathon?