8 minute run (oh yeah, baby)
40 minutes strength training
Hello! Sorry for the radio silence. This past week has been really busy, but I also just wasn’t in the “writing about running mood” because of my knee. I did meet with two physical therapists this week (playing the field in the medical world) and the one I have chosen to work with has filled me with optimism, so now I’m feeling better about everything.
Good thing I have this newfound running optimism because part of my plan to get my knee healthy, includes bowing out of the NYC Marathon in November. It’s not smart at this point and just truly isn’t feasible after taking 2.5 weeks off. I’m obviously bumming about it, but there will always be next year…..and now my dad can maybe even go for a PR since I won’t be holding him back
So anyway, prognosis for the knee isn’t looking too bad — It’s “runner’s knee,” and although I’m not sure exactly why it happened, there are many variables that could have caused it. It could have been the 3 mile downhill at the AFC Half Marathon, it could have been caused by my left leg being significantly longer than my right leg (who knew!) or it could have been all the donuts I eat. He didn’t actually say the last one, but lessssbehonest, that’s definitely a problem in my life.
I was allowed to run on the treadmill for 8 whole minutes during the appointment, which was marvelous and also quite bouncy. (I had just come from the beach and didn’t think it was necessary to change out of my bathing suit top and into a sports bra. Lesson learned.) He said if my knee feels alright tomorrow, I can aim for some short and FLAT runs in the next few days. You don’t have to tell me to avoid hills twice. On Thursday I’ll be back to meet with the physical therapist so he can teach me some lovely exercises. Pumped.
Well, now that you’ve probably closed the browser after that rambling, here’s a “quick” recap of what I’ve been doing in a city where I don’t know a soul.
- Went to a concert at a small bar down the street from me and saw Grizfolk & Andrew Belle. I had never heard of either of them, but I really enjoyed their music….especially Grizfolk. Think Mumford and Sons 15 feet away from your face.
- Went to a beer club meetup at the microbrewery, Thorn Street, and met some cool beer drinking peeps. I’m not really into craft beers or whatever, but I tend to get along with people who are, so it just seemed logical, right?
- Went to this piano bar alone. Missed my partner in crime, Alli, but still had a blast!
- Walked through the local Little Italy farmers market
and snagged a free sample of Berkeley Pizza, which brought tears to my eyes it was so good.
- Ate lunch by the bay. Not too shabby of a view.
- Walked the bike bath along the bay. Is that what it’s called? I don’t know the lingo yet.
- Watched Parenthood. I had to shut the shades because it was so nice outside that I was feeling guilty. I may have been a tad hungover.
- Had a Mexican Fiesta para uno (por uno?)
- Finally got cable and Internet (anyone else watch Below Deck?)
- Tanned some more. I’m peeling. My skin isn’t used to so much sun after living in New England for 6 years.
- Made some more spaghetti squash. Obsessed.
Life isn’t too bad, huh? There were also so job applications thrown into the mix, but those aren’t any fun to talk about.
SO. Now that I don’t start crying every time I hear the world “run,” I am ready to blog and work through this pesky injury. I promise I will attempt to limit the complaining, but you know what you’re getting yourselves into
Runner’s Knee is a very common injury. Have you ever had it?
What’s your latest food obsession?
Do you prefer the beach or the pool?